lunedì, maggio 15, 2006

I've arrived.

Alas, everything is well. I'm alive, well-rested, and content thus far.

Yesterday morning, I arrived in Rome, and then after making a stop on the way back, returned to my old neighborhood off of via Cassia. Things are familiar, but it's like I've just returned from having amnesia or something, and sort-of remember everything, but not quite, and the same for everyone else with respect to me. As a result, there's a certain degree of familiarity, but then it comes back to confuse me at some point. The following example, for example: Today, I wanted to go get pizza from my favorite place, at Piazza Risorgimento, and it was formerly called Pazzi per Pizza. Today, I happen upon Paradiso Pizzestre, in the same location and with the same pizzaiolo. Then, shortly thereafter, I happen upon Pazzi per Pizza again in Piazza Trilussa, nearby John Cabot University. I remain kind of confused and will have to see what happened.

I was awake between about 2am and 5am, so I finished the rereading of a John Grisham novel. At 5am I finally went back to sleep, thinking I'd wake up kind of soon again, but instead I woke up at noon! This is after going to sleep at about 8am the night before! So I'm well-rested. I went to John Cabot today, made sure things are cool and found out when I have to be there, which is on Thursday around 2:30pm for orientation. I'm not sure what to expect.

My bus pass is expired, and you can't buy monthly passes in the middle of the month, so I paid €16 for a week bus pass, with 2 weeks left in the month, and a monthly student bus pass only costs €18. So for next week, I was advised to get single passes and then be careful... We'll see. Of course at the first of the month I'll get a monthly pass.

It's beautiful weather here, a lovely 70-75 degrees and sunny. I walked around Trastevere, around the centro between the river and Largo Argentina. My body needs to adjust a bit to the temperature, and I need to drink more water. I sneezed a bit today.

I've begun reading Paulo Coelho's book The Zahir, which I like quite a bit so far, as with all of the books he's written that I've read. I also got a book called Chiesa e Religione Popolare nel Mezzogiorno (The Church and Popular Religion in Southern Italy), which I hope will answer some questions. On the plane, I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Johnathan Safran-Foer, who does an amazing job of connecting different times and places and making that into a story, as he first did with the fantastic Everything is Illuminated.

Finally, the speaking Italian is going well. When I'm where I'm staying, I have to speak Italian, even though English is kind of a possibility in a pinch, but everyone's kind and complimentary about my skills, which makes me happy, but also needing to keep working at it. Happily enough, I am also being introduced to some words and phrases in Romanesco, which is cool and also useful.