mercoledì, maggio 24, 2006

Trastevere Standa: A Dialogue

The following dialogue transpired in Italian, I provide it here in English.

Setting: Standa Supermercato on Viale di Trastevere, Rome.
Characters: Elderly woman, 60-something male, Maria, checkout lady, Italian male

Elderly Woman: The Republic is in chaos! Chaos! I'm 92 years old and I've never seen it this bad!
Male: (nods head, smiles)
Elderly Woman: Chaos! Are you a foreigner?
Male: Yes. British. It's nice here (qui bella).
Elderly Woman: Eh. (to Maria) Go ahead.
Maria: Thanks.
Elderly Woman: The Republic is in chaos! Chaos! I'm 92 years old and I've never seen it this bad! I was born during the Monarchy! I asked them for some orange juice here, and there isn't any! I can't believe it! Are you a foreigner too?
Maria: Yes, but I understand Italian.
Elderly Woman: At least you understand Italian!
Maria: Are you a monarchist?
Elderly Woman: Yes, monarchist!
Maria puts her purchases on the conveyor belt and prepares to pay checkout lady.
Elderly Woman (to Italian male): Go ahead.
Checkout lady (to Italian male): Can you go look for what she's asking for? I have no idea and she's going to let everyone go ahead of her until she gets what she wants.
Italian male: Sure. (goes to look for orange beverage)
Elderly Woman: Thanks!
Checkout lady: One euro, forty nine cents.