venerdì, giugno 23, 2006

Where some _____ is due

As good old G. K. Chesterton once quipped, "I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." Throughout my time at John Cabot, I've been keeping track of some excellent or at times funny comments made by one of my professors, a professor I've had before who has been consistently challenging, supportive, and who is not only exceptionally knowledgable in many subjects, but who also is capable of presenting that knowledge in a productive way. I post this out of respect and with enthusiastic thanks, because I have learned much. Without anything further, here's some flava from the class:
  • Discussion is the real paradigm of learning.
  • while discussing x-rays of paintings and subsequent discovery of repainting by the artist: What's in a painting is like knowing what's in your hot dog. It's not terribly reassuring.
  • while discussing the burning of Giordano Bruno in 1600: ... to make a short story a little longer...
  • after presenting Judith Beheading Holofernes: This is what Caravaggio is more known for: the biblical slasher scene.
  • on Venice: You must go. You have a gap until you fill it.
  • after presenting Venus with a Satyr and Cupid: Yes, I know the little putto is out of hand, but what can you do?