martedì, maggio 30, 2006

happy, beautiful banality

Quickly, I wanted to share a bit.

Yesterday on the tram, and from the tram, I saw five old-school gypsy women, who were so beautiful and so real. European friends think this is nothing special, but it was so cool to be so close to them and to listen to their language being spoken. Additionally, one of them was reading Italian and then out loud translating a sign into Romany. Fascinating.

I also lost an hour of my life on a 1/2 mile stretch of the Cassia last night.

I should think more about looking before I cross the street. Generally, not just here or elsewhere.

I did laundry this morning -- some I'll do at home, but some I wanted to do in the laundromat. It was interesting, the woman tried to speak English to me, I told her she could speak Italian, I understood. It's always so interesting to me to see what language people decide to speak to me in. For example, today at the Anglo-American Bookstore I was buying a textbook and I spoke to the guy in Italian, so he spoke back to me in Italian, in what is otherwise an English-language environment. I think a lot of times I sound American, and I shouldn't be so lazy speaking Italian, but it happens.

Last night, I was like, I am so exhausted I can't speak Italian anymore, barely English. Fulvia laughed and said good night! We didn't eat dinner until about 10:30 because Zoe, the dog had to go to the vet because she got a thorny plant sort of thing in her ear... I didn't get back until about 9:30 anyway because of the traffic.

Today has been nice, very relaxing. I feel like it's my summer vacation, which is good even though I'm also getting a lot of stuff done.