venerdì, giugno 23, 2006

a housekeeping note

I've made some cosmetic changes to the blog, because my old image host somehow pooped out and/or changed ownership, and I don't have the old header image on my new computer -- so I made a new one! Let's all admit we were getting tired of the old one with the map...
The image is not without some symbolism and thought. I've chosen the shields (stemme) of Calabria and Rome, along with two ancient Greek-designed scuptures that reflect their respective regions. The Apollo Belvedere is a Roman marble copy of the Greek original, that was used over and over again in art, especially during the Renaissance, and has lived forever in the Vatican. On the right is one of the two Riace bronzes, found relatively recently near Reggio Calabria and are actual Greek originals.