martedì, giugno 06, 2006

listino

  1. When I first got here, I was still on my American body thermometer; that is, it was always hot and muggy and gross outside, insupportable. Now, I'm back to my Italian body thermometer, which means I've got on a light jacket and gauze scarf like the other Italians. This also means that it's not quite summer here yet, and I haven't gotten much sun the last few days.
  2. Some Alleanza Nazionale (the sucessor to Mussolini's fascist party) and Democratici Christiani (the most corrupt political party of the post-war period) from Frosinone marched through the streets a few days ago burning a copy of The Da Vinci Code. Problems with this: the second you start burning any book there's a big problem, the people who did it made themselves even more provincial than they already are, and it need not be such a big deal. However, I will give them some sort of credit for continuing a long history of Fascist tradition. Cretini.
  3. Books are fantastic. Dangerous, but fantastic. It's such a pleasure to be around books. There's so much more I must read, seriously.
  4. It's rainy today. Grrrr. Tomorrow, finally, it's supposed to be nice after like a week of bad weather.
  5. I really enjoy that I'm so close to a DS office, because they put L'Unità on the wall outside every morning and then I can see it when I go by. In other news that you never hear in America, more Italians have died in Iraq, and Italians are getting more ticked off about their presence there. Happily enough, the president and government have a great tradition of being against imperial wars, and hopefully there will be some sort of resolution to the problem soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonimo said...

Dearest Maria;

I am so glad that you are having such a wonderful time and experience in one of the worlds most visited cities, and I have enjoyed all the information you have posted from the very begining of your stay in Rome, I wish I could be there just to enjoy the city and all the comments you would have to share with me. keep you spirits up and learn all you can now that you can, that baccala sure looks good to me especially since I haven't eaten lunch yet,that show looks like fun to me also, as I said before everything you have posted has been of interest to me, as if I was traveling through your eyes, and for that I thank you!!!!!
stay well and see you when you come back?!!

your aunt and cousin

Carmen & Phillip

06 giugno, 2006 19:48  

Posta un commento

<< Home