martedì, giugno 06, 2006

Via Cassia: A Dialogue

This is becoming a pattern (cf. Trastevere Standa: A Dialogue) -- an elderly woman makes some sort of complaint to no one in particular and happens to be standing or sitting right next to me, so I respond, not necessarily expecting any sort of response, and then I really get one. The following happened Sunday afternoon around 4:30pm, and took place in Italian. I present it here in English.

Older woman: What is this? They just built this new bench/shelter thing, but it doesn't do anything! When it rains, you still get splashed by the cars, and if there's rain and wind, the rain comes into the shelter anyway! They spent millions on these! Instead, they should put more buses on the road! (When I told Fulvia this story, she was like, well it's true you know.)
Other older woman: raises eyebrows a bit
Self: Well, we could all drive around on motorinos instead.
Older woman: You know, I'd be dead already if I drove a motorino. Once I was dating a man who was (emphasis mine) thirty years younger than me and I wanted to seem younger, so I rode it with him once and I nearly died of fear. Then we broke up.
Other older woman: raises eyebrows a bit, yet also looks over curiously at Older Woman
Self:
Well then, we'll just have to wait for the bus. I've been waiting for a half hour already.
Older Woman: See what I mean?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonimo said...

maria,

you've got us 'hooked' now. we expect an almost daily update while realizing that you're busy with studies and papers.

be well, much love,

dad

07 giugno, 2006 19:09  

Posta un commento

<< Home