domenica, giugno 11, 2006

It's Saturday, therefore I did nothing.

Today was really pretty relaxing... I turn into a homebody on Saturdays, because I really need at least one day a week free from ATAC. However, I made reservations at a hostel in Florence and also looked up train times, and I'll get the tickets Monday after I get the intinerary from the professor. Generally, I'm not really looking forward to this, because it represents an expenditure that I'm not really happy about making -- train (which is not really cheap contrary to popular opinion, and I looked into buses, which don't exist between Rome and Florence) and hostel (although the hostel costs only half of what the round-trip train will cost, so why should I complain?). Additionally I had to spend money via Amazon for textbooks today, so I'm not feeling it.
There's always the possibility that I will freak out, go up to Bologna Saturday afternoon, and stay until Sunday afternoon... I've been wanting to get up there, and so we'll see. It would make a nice weekend excursion. Me + the radical sites of Bologna, the most Communist city in Italy! I'll have to do some research, however I've found that my general M.O. is to do a great deal of obsessive research, and then still end up making a rash decision when all is said and done. On the other hand, Florence may throw me over the edge and I'll need to return to bella Roma, my Italian home.
Today Fulvia's parents came over for lunch, which was nice and interesting and fun. They're really sweet people who still use the lei formal thing, which I don't really know how to use, and if I did probably wouldn't anyway out of principle, although it shows how well-mannered they are that they use it. They're really neat to talk to.
This evening Ilaria and Alessandra and I watched Manuale d'Amore and Mary Poppins (in Italian, which was very cute since they were both singing along) while eating pizza and beer. Exceptionally relaxing.
Tomorrow I don't know what I'll do... There's that which I want to do, which is to go to Ostia Antica with a packed lunch, and sit amongst the beautiful ruins reading and eating. There's also that which I must do, which is to put the finishing touches on my paper for Caravaggio and the Carracci, and then begin my bibiliography and outline for the Michelangelo class. If I get that done in the morning, I'll feel good about getting out in the afternoon for Santa Maria in Trastevere liturgy in the evening. Chances are I can go to Ostia on Tuesday or Wednesday, since I don't have class in the morning and I don't have to be in the city until later in the afternoon. Really, I just want to get some sun and breathe in the ancient Roman air. All of this me + the Baroque is a bit too dramatic!

(begin awwww moment) Finally, I must say how nice it is that my parents have continued to be so supportive and encouraging during this whole time, each in their own way. It's nice to feel like other people know I can pull this off and that I'm doing a good job of it, and it makes me happy, and happy to be here. (end awwww moment)